Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Coffee and vanilla bean

I have developed quite a taste for Bali coffee with half a fresh vanilla pod and a dash of honey and milk. Vanilla pod was always one of those luxury items that never made it to my shopping trolley but the spices at the markets here throw their scent through the cellophane and are an irresistible enticement of colour and promised flavour. The last time I was here I lusted after them but knew I would not get them home through customs. Now as my kitchen capacity grows I plan to celebrate their availability. Who has a great recipe for star anise?
I am enjoying my days at home. Afternoon thunderstorms, morning massages, the ever watchful workers who come and clean the room the minute I leave the house. Lifestyle is so affordable here, and I am enjoying the ease, the cooked breakfasts, the cleaner and groundskeepers. Yesterday I went out to take some clothes to the laundry where they are washed and dried and ironed.....OMG....to see four or five of the workers here tending the garden. They were trimming the lawns with hedge clippers, and cutting banana leaves to use for their ceremonial dishes. The idea of using a noisy lawnmower because it was quicker was a joke for them, Bali time is quiet time.
My writing has started to find a rhythm and the story has begun.

1 comment:

  1. sally darling...i look forward so much to reading your blog every couple of days.your poem is so evocative and i can smell ubud as i read it.love the sound o the angel with a lot to say!!!
    we are heading for india in may,to an ayurvedic ashram for a wee bit of healing.more soon.love and keep the writing coming..so beautiful.we had 9 inches of rain over the weekend!!frogs are singing to the hidden moon.xxx

    ReplyDelete